East Chicago, Indiana
Units 5 and 6 Walking Beam Furnaces
Client / Owner
Graycor Industrial Constructors performed a major upgrade and rehabilitation to ArcelorMittal’s Nos. 5 and 6 Walking Beam Furnaces at the Indiana Harbor East facility.
The major scopes of work included replacement of the following:
- All fixed and movable skids and jack posts
- All cooling water supply and interconnecting piping (the existing piping was as-built and new pipe fabricated in Graycor’s fabrication shop)
- Scale trough system
- All traveling/lift frame ramps and wheels including foundation repairs
- Furnace floor and burner refractory, plus all insulation for skids and jack posts
- Fixed floor system
- All traveling liner plates and frame centering system
- Furnace scale chutes
In addition to the above, all furnace cylinders and center links were realigned to enable better traveling frame movement.
The work was scheduled on a two-shift-per-day basis, five days per week. Work was completed in approximately 11 weeks per furnace.